Monday, June 11, 2012

It's Official

I am no longer a Charlottesville resident. And Virginia Beach has welcomed me back with open arms. Let's hope I can return it's kindness. Eventually. I can't lie--it's not all bad. It's just different from everything I've known for the past 5 years. Sure, four of those were spent in undergrad, but as I was explaining to a friend, I don't associate Charlottesville with those years with UVa. I think of the life I had outside of school. I always held a job throughout my college experience, and that led me to numerous adventures outside of the confines of undergraduate coursework.

It's not that I'm not proud of my alma mater--that's definitely not the case. I just never felt the connection to the school that many people feel toward it. And part of that is why I'm looking to (finally) go to grad school. I want that connection.

But that's off topic. It's not my intention to rant about moving. I understand that that chapter of my life is closed and I have to figure out what's next. It just might take me a little bit longer to accept that. I think that's fair. I'm already looking for ways to reintegrate myself back into life in Virginia Beach. I need to join the gym that I mentioned the other day, but I have a slight drawback at the moment.
Unfortunately I could not take a non-fuzzy picture because my hands were shaking so much. But I got a little ambitious during my last workout at TP, and the partner in crime suggested I go out the same way I went in--with the Crossfit qualifier. For those of you unfamiliar, it is 1 power clean and press/5 kipping pullups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats. Repeat, adding 1 power clean to every round until you hit 10 consecutive power cleans. I got to round 7. I knew my grip was off during the kippings and once I hit 4 of them, I knew my hand was jacked. I wrapped with with a paper towel and managed to eek out the rest of that round, but I'm a little out of commission for anything strenuous that isn't running. Dang it! Was it worth it? --Umm, isn't it always worth it?!

The rest of the weekend was spent saying my goodbyes at various different outings. Not to mention, I made it to my first Veritas Starry Nights ever on my last night in Charlottesville. Oh, irony. Thanks to my brother and sister-in-law for inviting me! You two are amazing! Then finally, on Sunday I scrambled to get in one last run, one last visit to the gym (to steal back my medicine ball), and pack my car before heading to one last Guadelajara meal with my Loft ladies.

A couple of minutes after I sat down, my co-manager placed this beast in front of my face:
I'm still shocked by the generosity of my lovely coworkers! I was honestly expecting just a card. And I had no idea that I had such an impact on any of them. I'm still getting settled at home--otherwise I would take pictures of everything--but that will come soon! I've been so fortunate to work with so many of these girls, and it was just so touching to know that I'll be missed so much. And of course, I can't lie--I cried the second this was placed in front of me. I'm a sap. Also, PLEASE note the yellow butterfly clutch in the center of the basket. One of my coworkers made this for me, along with a necklace! I promise to take better pictures in the coming days, but please keep her in mind. She's reopening her Etsy shop soon, and she's AMAZING!! I'm not biased or anything--all of my opinions are 100% truth.

Oh, and did I mention it was also her birthday? I think she's a little surprised, don't you think?

Mexican restaurants. The best way to embarrass a birthday gal! Happy birthday, Ayla!

She's not the only one who was crafty--my co-manager is always looking for new crafts involving wine corks, since there are so many local vineyards around here. Well, a few weeks back, another coworker and I were at a wine festival when we saw wine keychains. Of course, we immediately told her about the idea and I was secretly hoping I could convince her to make me one. Apparently, all it takes is moving away to be gifted with this adorable keychain:
I got super antsy and put it on my keys before this picture was even taken! But yes--thanks to all of my amazing coworkers and friends for making my last days as a Charlottesville citizen more than I could have ever hoped for!

And as of this morning, when I changed my address on the DMV website, I'm currently a Virginia Beach resident. I will continue to be optimistic, of course! And with that, here's the view from the parking garage near my new store:
I just love the plush grass in front of the Sandler Performing Arts Center! And not to mention, there's a fountain in front of the store--gorgeous!

1 comment:

  1. Thats so sweet of you to mention me! I will definitely visit you in Virginia Beach.

    ReplyDelete