Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pure and Simple

I've taken to the bar, folks! And by that, I mean Pure Barre. Lately, I've been needing a change of pace when it comes to my workouts. Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying all the work I put in at the gym--strength training, running (on those darn treadmills since it's been too cold outside for my wimpy self), and some treadclimbing. Notice anything missing? Maybe some core work? Yeah, that's because I find it highly boring, especially when working out solo. Of course I enjoy the burn from it, but it's really hard to get motivated to do the same movements over and over. Yawn.

PB

Introducing, Pure Barre Charlottesville. Newer to the area (not quite a year old), completely new to me. Since I butcher anything I try to explain, here's what Pure Barre entails, according to their website:
"Pure Barre is a total body workout that lifts your seat, tones your thighs and burns fat in record-breaking time. Utilizing the ballet barre to perform small isometric movements set to fantastic music, Pure Barre is the fastest, most effective, yet safest way to change your body. Students see results in just 10 classes.
Pure Barre is intelligent exercise. The technique protects your joints as it does not involve any bouncing or jumping. Each strength section of the workout is followed by a stretching section in order to create long, lean muscle without bulk. The workout launches a full blown attack on the areas of the body all women struggle with: abs, hips, seat and arms. It defies gravity by tapering everything in and lifting it up."
They aren't lying when they say that it works those four main areas--abs, hips, seat, and arms. I thought I was exceptionally fit (with the occasional treat or day off...or more rarely, a longer absence from workouts). That was until I tried this class. Day one was yesterday for me, and it left me sore and achy, but in a good way. Nothing that a hike up Carter's Mountain with the fabulous Stacy and puppy Maggles couldn't fix!  But I will get to that in a minute. Let's just say that I was very glad that I ended up doing a more strenuous hike than intended yesterday, because it left me a bit looser today. Had that not been the case, I probably would have been in trouble for Round 2 of Pure Barre today.

I ended up signing up for a new member deal which gives me a month of unlimited Pure Barre classes. But because I am leaving for LA for a work meeting during the first week of February, I want to make the most of my investment. Meaning? I fully intend on going to as. many. classes. as. possible. Yes, you read that right. Your first thought may be, "Geez girl, overtrain much?!" But in all honesty, this is a very low-impact but high-intensity (for me) workout. I think it will be a great compliment to my strength training and running. At this point, I'm not sure how I really want to plan out my workouts, but I've started writing down the times that I can make the class in my social calendar.
Yes, I literally have a social calendar...
You can thank my job for that necessary distinction.
Quick Impromptu Holiday Recap

At this point, I'm just trying to undo all the damage from the holidays, which to me were defined as the time period between Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve, and perhaps a few days prior. Do I have excuses? Sure do. Do those excuses get me anywhere? Sure don't. Accepting responsibility and moving on...

Let's just say there was a little bit of this...
...and some of this...
...and a WHOLE lot of this!
And because a girl's gotta eat too, and I'm not a food blogger--
I may have indulged in some bonfire smores...
...and an amazing bison burger while in Philly.

Gifts were received, and gifts were given...
Unbeknownst to my manager,
this was already one of my favorite reads!
The Sissy was the excited recipient of this--
Pinterest Weekly To-Do Collage frame.
I don't know when this turned into a somewhat holiday recap (inappropriately outdated), so let's reel it in here. After the aforementioned holiday festivities, I've been trying to get back on track with fitness, so I've been eliminating the bad and reintroducing/reinforcing the good. What does that mean exactly? No cheat meals/snacks/etc. More/longer workouts. Including two-a-days.
Well aren't I disgustingly sweaty?
Sober Nights

Additionally, I have cut alcohol out of the equation until I get back to where I want to be fitness-wise. Hasn't been much of an issue, until last night. I'm a firm believer that you do not necessarily need to drink to be considered fun. I promised a friend that I hadn't seen in a while that I would go be social downtown with her last night, and so we did. I stuck to my drink of choice:
HA. Let's just say I stuck to water.
I told her beforehand that I wouldn't be drinking, and before I had a chance to explain, I was already met with skepticism. Luckily, she knows I'm crazy no matter what, so she approved of my soberness and off we went. A short walk in high heels later, and we had met up with some of her friends at a bar. Now, I believe this may have been an entirely different experience had I met up with some of my own friends, not strangers that only she knew, but I was sort of taken aback by this. I'm generally not one to say no to a free drink when a friend offers to pay, which is what her friends did. However, every time I said I just wanted water, I was met with retorts about, "Nah, I think you want a drink. What do you want?"

First of all, I just told you what I want. Secondly, I don't find a need to explain myself to you. Apparently, when you say you want a water and then you smile through annoyance when you're questioned/pressured, you are then accused of "not being fun" or "being mad." LAUGHABLE. I would like to think that this was a bit of a social experiment, but come on, people! Sure, I understand that people go to bars for one main thing, but what about DDs? Several of her friends literally told me I should cave to peer pressure. Instead, I caved to the pain in my feet from attempting to break in new heels and made the solo walk home at a reasonable hour.

And GUESS WHAT?! I was energized and able to make it to the 9am Pure Barre class this morning. Oh, and I'm probably $20 richer for not spending hard-earned money. Enduring 31 dry days is by no means a crime. And in all honesty, I am amazed at my own willpower. Sure, I have wanted to drink at times through these past 13 days, but it'll just taste that much better, come February 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment