Saturday, June 22, 2013

Why don't you pass the time with a game of solitaire??

FIVE dollars to the first person that can name the movie from which that quote came WITHOUT googling it. I tell you, I grew up hearing that quote because that was one of my mother's favorite movies, and to this day when anyone mentions solitaire, that quote comes to mind. However, my friends, that is far from the topic of the day! I've been so serious on the blog here lately, with competition prep and all, that it's time to have a little fun. What better way to do so than with a little game of solitaire survey!

I'm usually not one to fill these out--they remind me of the dreadfully awkward days when MySpace ruled the t(w)een internet--but it's mindless and informative. Not to mention, it's a way for bloggers to get to know some interesting facts about one another. I personally think it's especially appropriate for fitness/health bloggers because it gives us a different way to recreate our days rather than, "I woke up. I ran. I ate. I worked. I slept." Surveys not your thing? Then feel free to not read on.

1. What did you eat for breakfast?
Let's see: competition prep peak week. Water/sodium load Day 2--1 cup of egg whites sweetened with a bit of Splenda Nectress, unsweetened flavor drops, ginger, and cinnamon. Hold your urge to vom--I swear this is delicious! It's like a dessert made solely of protein...and amped up with flavor and more flavor. (Being that all food will be boiled between Monday and Saturday, I'm getting all the flavor I can get while it's allowable.) Green beans on the side (with a dose of sodium--yum).

2. How much water do you drink a day?
I can, in good faith, say that I drink at LEAST a gallon of water a day, if not more. Definitely more. Sometimes I do count unsweetened beverages (iced tea, coffee) toward this daily total, but I think that's appropriate. As a result, I also go to the bathroom a lot. A LOT, a lot. 

3. What is your current favorite workout?
I'm a super generic workout gal. Think running, stair mill, traditional lifting, etc. Very basic. That being said, I'm really enjoying the P90X Ab Ripper X. 15 minutes of balls to the wall core work, using no additional equipment. It WORKS, folks! My abs love to hate it. And running--even if it's only 2 miles, I can't stand going a day without getting my feet going. All you need is socks and a pair of running shoes and you're good to go!
Let's go, leg-os!

4. How many calories do you eat a day?
I've gotten this question on several occasions as of late, and I don't have a good answer. I can tell you how much protein I eat on any given day though--approximately 125-150g a day. 
You mean you DON'T pose with your protein??

5. What are your favorite healthy snacks?
Quest bars are my go-to favorite snack. SO good! Especially microwaved 15 seconds or baked for 5 minutes. Some like it hot! Behind that, greek yogurt (with nut butter, mmm), nuts (in moderation), and water-dense veggies like celery, bell peppers, and cukes. If only I could perfect the art of making kale chips...

6. What do you usually eat for lunch?
Which one? Meal 3 or 4 (of 6)? Typically this is meat in the form of chicken or fish...or steak earlier in prep. And greens. A hefty amount of greens. Gotta feed these muscles!

7. What is your favorite body part to strength train?
Oooh, toughie! I want to say legs--I love to hate leg days. It's the most trying day, but the most rewarding. I love a good hurting! Followed closely by shoulders and biceps. 


8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train?
Chest. Boring. Enough said.

9. What are your “bad” food cravings?
Froyo and cupcakes. And limited edition Oreos--I'm not too particular on the flavor, but I at least like to try them all. This is not to say that I give in to my cravings--my comp diet can attest for the fact that I don't--but I can at least want after these foods!
Enough said (though I prefer the chocolate wafers)

10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?
Yessir/yes ma'am! Typically I take these all in the chewable form (gummies please?!). I currently take a multi-, calcium, and vitamin C. Sometimes I add in fish oil and biotin--to keep e'erything healthy!

11. How often do you eat out?
A lot less often than I used to! Once a week currently, IF I'm lucky.
Don't worry, this is NOWHERE near recent.

12. Do you eat fast food?
No siree! On a rare occasion, I will eat Chic-Fil-A, but even that is few and far between. It's just not worth it--quality is terrible, flavor is sub-par, and fast food chains always seem dirty to me.

13. Who is your biggest supporter?
My momma, Sister Kurland, Bestie Katie, and Stacy. These gals may question my motives sometimes, but they never stop supporting my goals and want to see me succeed. There are several others on the list of supporters that need mentioning--Ashley, Lacey, Logan, Kelsey (along with those whom I've forgotten to add here)--love you all!

14. Do you have a gym membership?
Oh, not just A gym membership. TWO gym membershipS. Call me crazy... I call me crazy fit.

15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
Certainly not enough! 6-6.5 on weekdays, a little more on weekends. That explains my exhaustion...
So inviting... We should get together more often.

16. Do you have a “cheat” day?
Not really. I like to be "on" most of the time. I don't like missing workouts unless I need to or my body is telling me I need it. I never "cheat" an entire day. Perhaps a meal here or there, but guilt comes very quickly for me, so I try to limit this as best I can. That being said, when I do cheat, it's typically on weekends.

17. Do you drink alcohol?
Currently? No. When I'm not going through prep? Yes. I enjoy my alcohol, but I much prefer a nice drink (or two) and a relaxing evening over an all-out party indulgence night.

18. Do you have a workout buddy?
I wish! I used to have a few, but they've all fallen through the cracks. Pretty soon though, I'm going to need to find one, because I want to make some gains! And I'd prefer to not get trapped under any barbells while doing so...

19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a healthy lifestyle?
I have much better sense of who I am these days. I know more about what I am and am not capable of. I've learned to be proud of who I am, proud of my accomplishments, and begin to make a plan for where I want to go. I think committing to a healthy lifestyle has made me a better person, a more likable person, and all-around more positive. And my favorite part of my life that has changed--people have started to look toward me for inspiration and motivation. I love being able to help others, even if not directly!


20. What was the last healthy thing you did?
I pissed off the server we had at PF Chang's for my sister's belated birthday celebration by completely and utterly modifying a menu item to make it competition-(and peak week) friendly. How? Well it went something like this:
"Umm, the gluten-free moo goo gai pan--how is that cooked? ...Oh you can cook it in vegetable stock? Okay, perfect, yes, let's do that. But no sauce. So just cook the chicken, shrimp, and vegetables. No oil. Please. Thank you!"
Don't worry, my mom tipped him well.
What's holding you back??

1 comment:

  1. Kale Chips:

    Oven to 400 degrees.

    Wash that kale. Tear it into bite sized pieces. Spray some olive oil on a foil-lined baking sheet. Put the kale on said baking sheet. Spray the kale leaves with olive oil (they should be looking bright green at this point).

    Sprinkle with some garlic powder...curry...cayenne pepper...anything!! Bake in the oven 5-7 minutes. They are done when they are a dark forest green and starting to crisp up a bit.

    Repeat every week!!

    ReplyDelete