Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's the Little Things

Good morning! Scratch that--GREAT morning! I slept so well last night--didn't wake up once, not even for a bathroom break. And trust me, that happens all too often lately. Despite my best efforts, I always end up chugging the last 1/8 to 1/4 of my gallon before bed. You can only imagine the pressure on my bladder while I'm tossing and turning in my slumber.
Don't need this Big Daddy scene to happen to me at night!


Although I did wake up a bit on the sleepy side this morning--I blame two nights ago when I decided to be social mid-week--I got to the gym relatively early for me (about 5:20). I've gotten in the habit of setting out the things I need for my AM shake the night before, so all I have to do on my way out the door is toss the ingredients together in my Magic Bullet-like blender, grab a straw & my keys, throw on some clothes, and head out the door. There are some mornings where, no joke, I don't even look in the mirror. I can only imagine what my fellow gym-goers think. Oh wait, they are probably looking the same!

This morning, I decided to switch up my protein shake a tiny bit. And it made all the difference! Normally, I put about a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or half that with water), a little less than equal amounts of sugar-free chai latte concentrate, and a scoop of (currently cookies 'n cream) protein powder, along with 3-4 ice cubes. Yesterday when I was making one of my meals, I was craving one of the beets that I have in my fridge. It must have been fate that I didn't eat it, because when I was doing my second cardio last night, I read an article about the benefits that beets have during your workout. Immediately, I had a eureka moment--I'll throw one of those suckers in my shake in the morning! Can't be that bad, right??
Ready to Drink--in a shake!


Oh.My.Goodness! It was terrific! I loved it! I'm hooked! Now the only downside is that I only have one beet left. And I get my beets from Trader Joe's. Of which we do not currently have in Charlottesville. If I was feeling brave, I would venture to the new Whole Foods and check out their selection there, but they just opened in a new, HUGE building and for the past week and a half, the parking lot has been CRAZY. So no thank you to WF at the moment, but soon hopefully... I'm just waiting to see if the hype dies down. Worst case scenario, I'll be down home soon, and I can stop at TJ's then and pick up a package or two. Can't wait!

In addition to the shake modification, I have made a couple more changes. I've been switching up my cardio a bit this week because, to be honest, I'm just not feeling the treadmill this week. And I'm actually feeling 100% better than I did last week! I think my body just needed that change. Just for the week. Next week I'll get back in the saddle (or back on the treadmill...) and start running again. The cardio I have been doing--StairMaster, elliptical, recumbent bike--has been targeting my lower body, and I've definitely felt it. While running is great and I'm all for it, I do need to focus on my lower body at the moment, and I don't think I've sacrificed anything by doing so. In fact, my legs are slowly but surely feeling stronger, if I do say so myself!

Last but not least, I have found a new favorite flavor of gum! And no, unfortunately, it is not the Dessert Delights Orange Creme Pop I blogged about last week. Believe it or not, it is the new Juicy Fruit flavor! I haven't had Juicy Fruit in years, and the last time I did, I had a horrid experience with it practically breaking down in my mouth. Ick! This new flavor is called Juicy Secret--a mystery flavor of sorts *cue Halloween howling...* and it is Amazing!! I'm terrible at guessing mystery flavors, but if I had to fathom a guess, I would say it's some sort of blueberry something-or-other? That's beside the point, because right now I'm just calling it "delicious!"
Gee, I wonder what flavor...
Go out. Buy this (I got mine at Walmart). Unwrap it's flavor. Put it in your mouth & savor the mystery!
...I should be a spokesperson for them. Or a suggestive seller. New calling??

Do you have any unusual food concoctions that taste soooo amazing?? How often do you switch up cardio & what do you do? Are you actually going to try this gum now that I've convinced you it's not-so-secretly fantastic??

No comments:

Post a Comment