Saturday, January 29, 2011

Les Mills Classes vs. Cardio Equipment

By this point in time, I have successfully attended 3 Les Mills classes--the first was Body Flow, and then 2 Body Combat Classes. I don't want to hate on those people that regularly attend Body Flow and are into all that yoga stuff, but I was not a fan! If my goal was to increase my flexibility, then yeah, it might be good but I just don't buy into it. I like my cardio machines--I'm hardcore about getting on at least 2 cardio machines when time allows. Contorting myself into different "warrior" positions just isn't cutting it. First of all, NO ONE IN THIS ROOM IS A WARRIOR where do they come up with these names/poses? Secondly, how on earth is anyone breaking a sweat and huffing and puffing by the end?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on yoga in all forms (and not to mention Body Flow is a mix of yoga, pilates, and tai chi), but that class is not going to help me get anywhere. In fact, in order to prove that I'm not a yoga hater, I should mention that: a. I have an AWESOME friend, who is now a certified Bikram yoga instructor, and b. I have attended 2 Bikram classes and loved it (but I love the gym more, shhhh don't tell her)!

Badass, right? (And yay, I learned how to include pictures! Now how about captions??)

For as much as I disliked Body Flow, I have to admit that I love Body Combat! This too incorporates some weird "samurai" movements, but in all, I like the punches, jabs, uppercuts and hooks that it entails. That's not to say that I'm good at it far from it actually, but it's fun! It's more of the intensive cardio workout that I enjoy, minus the machines. I still have a ways to go before I become coordinated enough to not make a fool of myself (yay for the back of the room!), but for now it is what it is.

Think something like this, but me in the back row, a lot less coordinated :)

Although I do not have measurements or self-photos, I can definitely tell I've been making progress. Although this came as both a pleasant and unpleasant shock to me. For the past 2 months, there has been a shirt sitting in my closet from LOFT with the tags still on it. I was 4 days past the return date, but decided to keep it anyway because it was cuter than I remembered. I decided I was going to wear it last night, pulled the tags off, and put it on...only to find out that MY SHOULDERS ARE TOO BIG FOR THE DARN THING!!!! Talk about disappointment a reality check! I don't think I realized just how much muscle I would be building and how much it would affect my appearance. That's not to say that I'm not glad I am where I'm at--I still have 6 months to go and am obviously making improvements (a huge plus), but is it too much to ask to still fit into extra-small shirts at LOFT?? Sigh, the things I do for personal achievement. And the shirt is going to the consignment shop!

This weekend has been a little bit of an off weekend as I'm finding myself with less time than I had intended, but tomorrow I will be at Gold's full force! It's Mega Launch weekend at Gold's for the new round of Les Mills classes, but it surprisingly hasn't been too crowded. I'm interested to see what I improve on even a week from now!

No comments:

Post a Comment