Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm Back!

Hi all, my laptop if finally fixed (what a relief!) so I'm back to keep you posted on my progress! It's been a busy week, full of workouts, work, more work, and more workouts. And of course playing with the pup (including a few extra walks to the rotunda). So it's been a week and a half since I first started cracking down and working more on both my nutrition and my training. I must say, so far so good! I feel great! I wish I could say I feel great, but I know both where I am and where I need to be, and I have a long ways to go.

Lately, my work schedule has left me doing cardio in the morning then coming back for training around 9pm. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the late workouts, but I feel like it leaves me and Kevin in a time crunch to get through our workouts and there have been a couple of times where we've had to double up, so its both me and another of Kevin's clients working out at the same time. I don't mind sharing time because Kevin has been very supportive and it gets me more contacts at the gym, but there are times when I just feel so much weaker than his other clients. For instance, last week me and another client both worked on chest, and for each set, she was using 10 more pounds than I am. Granted, she works shoeing horses for a living, but it doesn't do much for my confidence. It does, however, boost my motivation and get me to work harder.

Then last night, we worked on back with another client, Megan, and I do have to say I felt more on the same level with her. We used the same amount of weight (I'd say she's probably a little stronger than me in terms of free weights), and it felt good. I've realized that I love pull-ups I don't mind pull-ups and actually enjoy the negatives lately (I am able to hold myself up longer/I have more control as I bring myself down from the bar). Unfortunately, my hands do NOT like pull-ups or negatives; even with chalk, my poor hands are left callused and red. Oh the prices I pay...

But all in all, things are getting a lot better, and easier(?). I've decided to copy Celia keep not only a nutrition journal, but a fitness journal as well to track my progress, since I'm sure you don't want to know all the little details. It's worked out really well so far! I have noticed (especially after two doubles at work this weekend leaving me with little time to eat an actual meal), that I need to make sure I get good sources of protein. Lately I've been resorting to nuts--I went to Sam's Club Sunday and bought 3 things: nuts, nuts, and protein bars--but as Kevin mentioned, I need some other sources of protein. String cheese was one easy suggestion, so I obliged and bought a pack. I've been doing well at eating more small meals a day, but I still don't think I'm eating enough. Or maybe I was just so used to eating out more often and eating crap whatever the hell I wanted, so now that I'm more aware of what I consume, I'm losing weight faster. Who knows?

As you know, I've been debating the whole drinking issue for a couple weeks now. Well, I think I've made my decision--I will allow myself to drink one day a week, but in COMPLETE moderation. For those of you who have been brave enough had the opportunity to witness me when I go out, you would never think I knew the definition of the word "moderation." Good news--I found a dictionary! No, but really, moderation is key right now. Celia was nice enough to watch the Wildcard games with me on Sunday, and it was kind of interesting for me. I started off CRAVING a blood mary, so I amused myself by ordering one. I felt okay, and granted we were eating too. But I could slowly see it going downhill when I ate the fries that came with my meal, which I told myself I would not touch. Bad news bears. Although, looking back on it, I guess it's not SO terrible, especially since I didn't have dinner. Then, seeing as we were staying out for both the Sunday games, I told myself I would order another drink when the second game started (read this right: 1st drink at beginning of 1st game, 2nd drink at beginning of 2nd game). 2 drinks in about 4 hours--okay, I can deal with that. But I did start feeling uneasy after the second drink (maybe due to lack of alcohol for the previous 8 days??)... When I got home, I was stuck with a large feeling of guilt, but now I can't quite say that it was all that bad ordering TWO drinks in FOUR hours. However, I know it's not going to always be this easy to limit myself especially during spring break aka Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I WILL stick it out though!!

Once again, Kevin has been telling me too cool it down some on cardio. I'm not doing nearly as much as I used to--maybe an hour max these days, a little more if I'm not weight training--and I don't feel guilty about it. We've talked about interval training instead of endurance training, and lucky for both of us, I had already started to make that transition. There's one very nice older man at the gym, Walt, and right now I'm dying for the opportunity to workout with him one day. A few weeks back we got to talking and he mentioned a great interval plan he has using the bikes; I'm not usually big on the bikes, but he assured me that it really kicks your ass gets your blood flowing. So both that and finally trying some sort of GGX class are on my list of things to do. Kevin really wants me to take Body Flow, a mix of yoga, pilates, and tai chi, so I can focus more on stretching than cardio on my off days. Eventually I will get to that when my schedule (and motivation) permits.

I'm actually a little nervous about the next few days. As I mentioned, last night we worked on back. I was already feeling a little weak last night during dead lifts and bent over rows, but on top of that, I may have taken a nasty spill last night. I had just gotten home and went outside to let out the pup; unfortunately for me, the stairs were icy with the LACK of snow we got, and I slipped as soon as I stepped foot on the top stair. Both me and the pup went tumbling down the stairs (though he was fine and I managed to find my butt landing on the sidewalk). My back immediately started to feel tense, even as I got in bed to sleep. Today, it's still a little tense, but I can't quite differentiate if it's tense or sore. I don't think my back felt like this immediately after the workout, so I assume its just a little bruised from falling. I'm definitely going to take note of this more over the next few days. Luckily, I don't have time to weight train tonight, so the break may help me figure out the source of the tension. I don't think it's anything serious, but at the same time, I don't want to do anything to further aggravate it. Thank goodness we have things like Tylenol and Advil nowadays.

Well, this post has touched on a lot (and left out a lot) since my last post, but thanks for sticking with me. I'm hoping a good night's rest eases my back, and hopefully tomorrow I will FINALLY be brave enough to try out a class at Gold's!

No comments:

Post a Comment