Sunday, May 8, 2011

Whirlwind Week

As always, I first want to apologize for my absence. This time I really don't have much of an excuse except that final (papers) have made me extremely lazy. Instead of catching up on my blogs when I'm not writing not at work, I've been catching up on some TV shows online, and then some. That doesn't mean that I haven't gotten my workouts in, because I have, and I'm feeling really good about hiring Pleasants to do my nutrition work. Makes life so much easier.

Earlier in the week, Wednesday/Thursday(?), I was having a few wrist problems which was impacting my lifting--I think I slept on it wrong or tweaked something in my wrist a day prior. Pleasants gave me something to put on it, and the next day it was fine, phew! In other gym-related news, I'm getting used to waking up before 6am to get in my workouts and start my daily meals. Thursday and Friday, Kevin and I worked out at 5:30am, and I stayed a bit longer to work abs, calves, and do first-round cardio. This also gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get my paper done (the one that was extended to Friday). Once I sat down and actually banged it out, it only took maybe a little over an hour to complete. You best believe there was a smile on my face as I walked (instead of drove) on grounds (campus) to turn it in to the professor in person. I wished him an enjoyable summer and was on my way, listening to Selena Gomez's "Who Says" on repeat. Don't judge, it's such a cute/catchy song!

Then yesterday, I woke up at my prescribed 6am, threw on clothes and hopped in the car to head to the gym. As I turned in, I got a bad feeling--the parking lot was EMPTY. Luckily, I immediately realized my mistake--it was Saturday and the gym does not open until 8am on Saturdays, duh! But then I had to figure out what I was going to do instead. I contemplated waiting til 8am and going then. I contemplated running around the neighborhood. Running won--I didn't feel like sitting around because there was a good bit I wanted to get done that day. BUT, it was chilly and I really didn't feel like running my normal loop. So as I was passing Washington Park, I decided to do a stair workout. The only problem? The stairs there are awkwardly long, so I was taking odd strides and had to make sure to do an even number of sets and break it up so I was starting off on the opposite foot each time. All-in-all, it helped though--I mean stairs are still stairs, and I do feel like I got a good workout.


I also treated myself to a new pair of booty shorts by Nike. I just had to--I'm shrinking too much for my current getup and I kinda wanna show off what I've been working for, not gonna lie! Following that, I had an epically unhelpful trip to Sam's Club--they didn't have anything I was looking for--bulk egg whites anyone??--yet I did stumble upon something I wanted and didn't think to look for. That thing being bulk sugar-free coffee syrups--jackpot! With two flavors in hand, I walked out a bit happier. And then the greatest thing happened--I was hanging out with a friend, and she happened to be puppy-sitting for her friend, so I got to hang out with a puppy! Okay, yes I do have a puppy that I love and adore and makes me laugh, but there's something about larger breed puppies that makes them adorable as well. This one, named Tank, was a pit bull/shepherd/lab mix and so sweet! We wrestled--I think he won because he's just too cute to lose.

When I finally got to the gym, I was definitely in a good mood, fresh with memories of puppy play and coffee (haha). When I got on the treadmill for my last cardio of the day, I actually managed to run a 7 minute mile! I cannot recall the last time I even wanted to do that! I wasn't planning on running at this pace for as long as I did--in fact, I even went over my cardio time for a couple minutes just to finish up--but I got going and it felt good and I was rocking my new shorts, so I thought, "Hey, why not see if I still got it??" It's no sub 6-minute mile like I ran back in my glory days, but I'll take it! After all, I'm not training for a race, I'm training for a figure competition.

I wasn't intending this post to be so lengthy, but when I'm gone for 3 days, I guess I can't expect any less. Other key things from this week--my poor, poor girls continue to shrink, and I decided to be social the past two nights! Friday night was very low-key and I only stayed out for about an hour--long enough to meet a friend's new boyfriend. Last night got a bit lengthy, as I lost track of time having a good time drinking water with some great friends I have neglected.

It was a bit of an awakening being at bars last night, for a couple reasons.

Where you could find me, most pre-prep nights...

  1. "Ohhhh, that's how I act when I'm drunk." --One of my friends recently turned 21 and I have dubbed her the new drunk version of the old me. It's interesting seeing drunk people from a sober perspective. And yet completely entertaining.
  2. When you know all the bartenders at your favorite bar and you haven't seen them in forever a while, then you order a water, you have a lot of explaining to do. I generally try to sum this up in a few short words--"I'm not drinking til the end of July/beginning of August. I'm training for a figure competition." But then both they and surrounding eavesdroppers drunk boys want to know what that is, want you to flex, give you all their attention until you walk away uninterested. Okay, that last part was directed mostly to the surrounding drunk boys. My bartender friends are awesome and, even though they could totally win in an arm-wrestling match, I always appease them by flashing my guns when they ask, awkward as it is.
  3. When you go to a bar that you frequent in a pretty small college town, you are bound to run into the person you have no desire to see. Which results in a conversation similar to this: Boy: "Liz!!!! **insert huge pick-up hug here** What's going on? I haven't seen you in forever! By the way, I got a new phone, so I don't have your number...and I don't think you have mine anymore??"Me: "No, don't think I do... (And don't want it)" ...Time elapses and a half-hour later he comes back over, says he's leaving and mentions not having my number again. Awkward. So I unenthusiastically give it to him, to which he replies that he will text me--what, no phone calls these days?--yawn. Buddy, if you couldn't already tell, I really do not want to hear from you. There's a reason that A. I don't have your number and B. you haven't heard from me, oh, and C. this is me being nice, now please go away before I'm not. And by the way, your girlfriend is really pretty. Gag, wannabe cheaters.
  4. I really cannot do this often. I left a bit later than I intended and by the time I got home and got in bed it was 1am. 5 hours of sleep is NOT enough. Lesson learned. 
But at the end of the day/night, I have a very rewarding and pleasant week! I'm down another couple pounds and am interested to see where my BF% and BMI are at when I check in with Pleasants later today. And he said we're cutting carbs even more, so that should be interesting! Ta ta for now my bloggie loves, gotta get my workout on!

What is your "awakening" when you go out with friends during prep/when you haven't been out in a while? Any awkwardness, like during my night?

What made your week that much better??
Me and my momma!

Lastly, Happy Mother's Day Mom! I love you so SO much!

No comments:

Post a Comment