Sunday, April 21, 2013

Winding Down the Weekend

...With a flag football win! Go red!


I know what you're thinking: "What a good-looking team." Yes, we certainly are. And this was after a few of our players dashed away. Turns out some people are scared of cameras? I kid. But we celebrated Week 3 of flag football with a win, and I'm darn proud of us.

But let's start at the beginning of the weekend. After my last post, I was uncertain where my motivation went and uncertain to do regarding the competition. For me, there were two choices--put it on hold (again) so I can enjoy the nice weather and good friends, or realize that I'm being a whiny b*tch just looking for excuses to not follow through. So Friday and Saturday were spent pondering that decision, and what better way to ponder than over Spic-a-ritas from Mono Loco, an amazing local restaurant.
Complete with jalapenos and fresh lime juice.
And I sort of owed Celia a birthday do-over because I was in rare form the previous Saturday and barely remember her meeting up with me then. Sorry, girl!

And then of course I had to ponder a little more over sushi at Ten. Which, in my defense, is high in protein and good fats AND I played the picky eater and literally picked out the fish from the rice part of the roll. If you're my mother or my sister, then you know this is typical for me. And yet it looked so pretty before I destroyed it like a 7 year-old.

Don't be fooled though, I did spend some time running. Aka e'ery day. Including during the thunderstorms that cancelled Fridays After Five, a free outdoor concert series with local musicians that happens every, you guessed it, Friday. Don't worry though, I made sure to get it in before the thunder and lightning actually started. I'm not that crazy. Riddle me this though--why are the best runs under less than ideal conditions? Friday, I averaged about an 8:10 pace for about 5 miles, and Saturday was about 8:20s, half of which was majorly uphill (and half of which was downhill--oh, Monticello trail). Today was a rarity, running with no direction and no time or distance goal in mind. Unfortunately, with football as a time constraint, I only managed a little over 5.6 miles in 43:22. That's a 7:46 pace. Prime example of why I do not train alone much these days.

Aside from that, I retired my Nike Frees (RIP), had the gym to myself for my Saturday leg workout, and received a pedometer in the mail from my company for a Walk to Wellness program they implemented several years back. It's TBD whether or not I will actually use it, because at this point I've already got the technological hookup during my training sessions. But it's a neat idea!
Goodbye/good riddance. Troublemakers.
My company is pretty cool.
Echo...
So if you're following which I'm not even sure I am, the point of all this was to tell you that I picked the latter of the 2 decisions regarding the competition and I'm sucking up my whininess and choosing the awesome option. As Kevin said, I'm 3/4 the way there. People would give a lot to be this fit already and yet they can't give up their Big Macs, etc. And by the time I step OFF stage, the summer will be heating up. Well worth the effort. And with that, I'm out--my bed and I have an excellent relationship that I don't want to ruin more than I already do by waking up and leaving it empty at 5:05am.

No comments:

Post a Comment