Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I am strong. I am invincible. I am woman.

Some days I seriously think I have a modified version of Seasonal Affective Disorder. It's like my mood changes on a whim, whenever the weather turns (which is sort of ironic since I'm hoping to become a meteorologist). When the sun is out, Liz is happy. When the sun goes away and the clouds roll in, Liz is blah. Frankly, it's getting annoying. And it's not like I can help it. I could be having a great day, but when the sky turns, so does my mood. And it's not helping me stay motivated.

After going through this same "routine" today, I realized it was the cause for my funk yesterday. Now I do have to say that today was touch-and-go. It started out warm and sunny, then the clouds rolled in and the sky turned ominous, but the rain held off. Then the sun came back and the cycle continued. At some point, I thought, "Enough with it!" and I made my way to the gym. It was right around rush hour (5pm) and I was fully expecting all the treadmills to be taken, but all of the kind I like to use were vacant--score! Part way into my run at a 8:34 pace (speed 7.0), I realized it was too easy and I needed to amp it up. So I eased my way up to an 8:00 pace (speed 7.5). 1st mile: 7.0, 2nd: 7.2, 3rd: 7.3, 4th & 5th: 7.5. Then the last minute I kicked it up to a 7:30 pace (speed 8.0). Felt good. Empowering. I pushed through 2 bouts of a side stitch and managed to get in 5.1 miles in 42 minutes. By this point I didn't realize how much of a sweaty mess I was. After numerous reps on the AbCoaster, I was good to go. I am strong.

Unfortunately, Kevin was not at the gym today, but I think I made due without for a night. It felt odd going so early, since I'm normally there from 8-10, and I only stayed an hour instead of 2 since I didn't have training. There's definitely a different crowd of people. I did see a good amount of familiar faces--those that are finishing their workouts as I'm just getting started normally. It was nice that my schedule allowed for an earlier session today, especially since it's Celia's birthday and I'm accompanying her out tonight. For the first time, I will say that I wish I could treat myself to A beer, after all, it is her birthday, but I know I can't. And I won't. I have not had a single drop of alcohol for a whole month (32 days today), which is the longest I have been without in my entire time at college. And I won't give in tonight. I am invincible.


To add to my excitement to go out with Celia tonight, I also have some good news! I am starting to SERIOUSLY notice changes! Not necessarily in my abs which I have been dying trying to improve, but definitely elsewhere. When I went to shower after the gym today, I took a good 1-2 minutes just admiring how nicely my back has shaped up. I have a nice elongated groove where I can just follow my spine with my eyes, I can see the muscles building definition as I move, and it definitely helps that I'm feeling yesterdays workout. In addition to that, since the weather has been warm, I've been wearing a lot of tank tops. While I enjoy staring looking at my muscles from time to time, this becomes problematic when I sit there in class and just want to watch my arms as I flex to remind myself how far I've come and where I'm going. Don't worry, I haven't done this yet in class, as I'm sure it would garner more than a few awkward stares of people that think I'm crazy because they have no idea what I'm doing. I'm sure if they knew that I was training for a figure competition, it would be a little more acceptable, but still, not going to risk it.

I made a point of requesting off work for next Friday and Saturday so I can go home to Virginia Beach and spend some time with my mom (she's a school teacher and it will be the end of her spring break...and since all us children have left the nest, I don't want her to be all alone). I wish I could go earlier, but I don't think that's going to be possible with classes. I'm excited to go home though, because home means beach and beach means bikini. And I have never been more proud to put this body in a tiny swim suit and flaunt my hard abs, ha work! I am woman.
Ah, beach!


P.S. I think one of the younger girls that works at the gym today rolled her eyes at me as she was entering/I was leaving the locker room. What's that about?

What do you miss the most about your childhood spring break??

2 comments:

  1. Flex all you want in the mirror...training for a show or not some ppl will ALWAYS find it odd, some will find it funny and some maybe even think you are vain...but who really cares what ppl think? You put in the time, sweat and I'm sure some blood. So flaunt it and enjoy the looks...you deserve them! As for the young girl, well she is either jealous because you have what she wants (a strong body and confidence) or she is just a bitch. Either way YOU WIN :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some good points! In the end, all that really matters is what I think and what the competition judges think. And yet my opinions are still the most important :)

    ReplyDelete