Friday, April 15, 2011

What now?

I recently came across some unfortunate news regarding my training, and I really don't know what to come of it yet. This is going to be pretty cryptic, but I don't really know what's going on and how it is going to affect my training. But I do know that my gym schedule will be a little bit out of whack for a while, and that makes me a little nervous. Especially with the semester winding down--3 papers, 4 weeks left of my internship, and still no post-graduation plans with the exception of my competition (which is a whole other post in itself, hopefully coming to a blog near you soon!). I'm trying to stay positive about everything, as I'm sure it will workout, but the uncertainty is a little worrisome. Once I get this all figured out and know more, I'll give more details, but it's just...I don't know.

They can read have books?
Needless to say, I skipped my workout yesterday. I really did mean to go, but I got to talking to a few friends, and one of my good friends was dealing with some unnecessary drama so I had to be there for her. She's also big in the local fitness community (she came back from Bikram yoga teacher training in December and is now an instructor), and I always enjoy talking with her. We are two different types of active, and yet it works for us in slightly different ways. It's also interesting just comparing our different fitness "communities" if you will.

While I am no fitness instructor though I hope to be someday, I do make observations while at the gym. I'm a bit of a people-watcher. And yet, I find myself watching the same people over time--the ones that are there day in and day out--because I know they are the ones that I can learn from. I will admit that I do briefly gaze at the ones that are there yanking up the weights, doing jerky reps and lifting a lot heavier than they should, thus sacrificing form. These are the people that make me chuckle inside, roll my eyes, and push me to show them up master my own form. Meatheads these days...

I will be one of these happy runners :)
This weekend is going to be tough, because Kevin is out of town, and you know what they say: When the trainer is away, the trainee will play the trainee will be at a loss of how to workout alone. Lucky for me, my awesome brother, Alex,  and sister-in-law, Kathy,  live just outside of town and go to the same Gold's as me. I've already been in touch with Alex, and he's going to be my spotter, at least for tonight. This will put my workouts out of order again, because I'll do legs tonight (it's hard to do squats without a spotter), but at least it gets me in the gym and lifting heavy as I should be. Tomorrow morning, another trip to the City Market before bis and tris (on my own)--the eggs that I picked up were AMAZING and so big & fresh! I must get more! Then Sunday, work, a workout and up to Harrisonburg for my first meeting with my posing coach and a visit to my best friend, Katie! In other news, Megan and I are going to be signing up for a few mud runs/adventure runs in the coming months and I couldn't be more excited! In all honesty, I just want to get MUDDY!

Perfection!
And now, drumroll please, the chicken I cooked perfectly yesterday... I tried something "new" and mixed a tiny bit of olive oil in with the spices, tossed it and put it on the stove. A-mazing. That and freshly roasted kale and I was good to go. Side note: if you have never tried tempeh, I highly suggest it. I had it in a spinach salad last night and it was delicious. Throw it in whatever spices/flavoring you want and it soaks up the taste. It's similar to tofu, make with soybeans, but it has a different fermentation process that makes it a good source of protein. However, it is a bit high in (good) fat, so I would limit intake. Probably shouldn't have eaten it during prep and should have saved it for the off-season, but it's too late now. All I can do is make up for it in the gym tonight! Staying positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment